Blog

Tips on Choosing Great Domain Name

Choosing a domain name is always exciting as for me it means you now really own that blog or website, much like owning a house and putting some home address plaques in front of your house.

Like address signs, a great domain name is equally important. So here are some tips to remember when choosing that all important address sign or domain name for your blog.

1. Always remember to make it short and sweet. You want something that represent you but at the same time something that people can remember easily.   K.I.S.S. Keep it simple and sweet, and you’ll get more traffic coming to your site.

2. Pay attention to punctuation. Sometimes the domain you want might not be available but something with punctuation might work. Although dashes and underscores are generally alright, avoid any strange punctuations like the exclamation sign for instance.

3. Make your domain name memorable so people will type in the address straight into the address bar instead of using a search engine and this is particularly important if yours is a business website. Search engine means your potential customer might find a competitor while looking for your site.

I hope you find the tips useful… and oh ya.. congrats on your new domain name!

PS: Want a blog makeover? Contact me today.
PSS: View all my work here

Cheerio…
LJSiggy

First Commenter Gets FCSB Point from LadyJava.
Thank you for your comments.
***
Mariuca

This Post Has 70 Comments

1. Mariuca says:

I think for my blogs, the best is meowdiaries.com cause same exact name as my blog kan? Macam Mariuca is MyMariuca and MPG is mariucasperfume… :)

2. Caroline says:

been wanted to have own domain! dnt wan wit blogspot. :( but ok no choice when dad say no. urgh~ but if i got the chance, i will choose carolinemayling.com . hehee

3. LadyJava says:

eh enveeus ok.. need a bit of getting use to at first but after a while can remember.. and it’s short so definitely good..

4. LadyJava says:

eh enveeus ok.. need a bit of getting use to at first but after a while can remember.. and it's short so definitely good..

5. eryn says:

I tried 3 times to submit a request for a quote for a full business makover, blog, web, logo, the works…and finally just gave up because your forms don’t work

6. LadyJava says:

IC.. I know that for blogs hosted with WP site you can actually reply email to email but the feature is not available for self-hosted wordpress such as this blog is :)

Thanks for the compliment. I can’t speak for other people but I am self-taught. I guess the first thing you need to have would be interest :)

7. eryn says:

I tried 3 times to submit a request for a quote for a full business makover, blog, web, logo, the works…and finally just gave up because your forms don't work

8. eryn says:

Hey Lady J

Im not sure…………. but i kept getting a response back that subject heading was required (which I provided) and then where I found you was required (also provided), so I filled them out again, provided the captcha agian, and still no luck. Did you actually get my email then, about what Im looking for??

E

that in addition to not being able to reply to your email on my email and then having to sign into wordpress to respond…is all too frustrating :(

• LadyJava says:

hm.. thanks for the feedback.. i will take a look at the form again.. but i see you actually used the contact form over at other blog right? is that form better?

Yes I got your email but have not had a chance to reply yet.. I will reply ASAP..

What do you mean by not able to reply back to my email and needing to sign into wordpress?

Sorry for the inconvience but so far I've not had any complaints from anyone yet :(

9. eryn says:

Hey Lady J
    E

10. eryn says:

Hey Lady J
    E

11. LadyJava says:

12. LadyJava says:

13. eryn says:

At the bottom of my email, after you respond, there's a link that says "Reply:" which presumably means that you can reply if you click here, but then I'd have to sign into WordPress to reply that way . . . so I instead go back to another link associate with this comment box, in order to respond. It would probably be easier to just reply email to email……. maybe Im 'Iold fashioned" lol. Well, I guess if you got the email the form worked after all…

Can I ask you another question? People like yourself who are talented at these things… can you tell me what exactly the talent IS? Like, do you go to Design School, or is it HTML coding, or Graphic Illustration? either way, you rock :)

• LadyJava says:

Thanks for the compliment. I can't speak for other people but I am self-taught. I guess the first thing you need to have would be interest :)

14. eryn says:

15. eryn says:

At the bottom of my email, after you respond, there's a link that says “Reply:” which presumably means that you can reply if you click here, but then I'd have to sign into WordPress to reply that way . . . so I instead go back to another link associate with this comment box, in order to respond. It would probably be easier to just reply email to email……. maybe Im 'Iold fashioned” lol. Well, I guess if you got the email the form worked after all…

16. eryn says:

Hey Lady

I found a lady who creates totally unique designs that I'm going to go with……..thanks for getting back to me!

17. eryn says: